Friday, August 9, 2013

Featured Artist: Faye Stinehart



My first featured artist will conform to my life’s own chronology.  My mother, Faye Stinehart, is not only the first human that I met in my life but was also the first artist that I ever knew.  She also happens to be my first art teacher, as she was my instructor in elementary school and my own private tutor at home.  But enough with the history, what is it that Faye does?


The more appropriate question is: what doesn’t Faye do?  Faye has the widest breadth of artistic techniques that I have ever seen of any other artist.  Painting with oils, acrylic, and water color, drawing, oil pastels, clay sculpting, etchings, t-shirt printing, carpentry and wood burning, digital and film photography, and, last that I checked, she was thinking of learning how to weld.  She also does all of her own matting and framing.  Sorry mom, I’m sure that I left a ton of things out, but I think those hit some of the major talents.  The point is that she can do A LOT of things and can do them well.

I believe that my favorite of all of her different techniques are her wood burnings.  Aside from being savvy in a wood cutting shop, she manages to create beautifully realistic renderings of people, animals, and landscapes with her excellent use of line and shading (I don’t even know how one “shades” in wood burning but she manages to do it).  This may also be her most called-upon skill.  She has done several commemorative wood burnings of family members and cherished pets.

 

Aside from wood burnings, Faye also produces excellent drawings, particularly of architecture and landscapes.  With a hand that has surgical precision and steadiness she is again able to achieve very realistic images.  She uses this particular talent as a substitute for graphic design when making t-shirt graphics.  That’s right, she makes and prints t-shirt designs unaided by computer software and rivals anyone’s level of detail and clarity.


What’s even better is that she does contract work.  So if you ever need any artistic talent for making gifts, décor, stage design, or just about anything else check out her website www.allphaseart.com or navigate to my “other artists” tab to find a link to her page.  Tell her I sent you.

No comments:

Post a Comment